Thursday, July 24, 2008

Torturing myself.




I have exactly 30 days until I set foot on Isle Royale. I would be there right now if it not for my clumsiness. The ankle seems to have turned a corner and the color is gone.

But I can’t help thinking where I’d be if not for naught. Right this moment, we’d probably be fishing for northerns at McCargoe Cove. Weather says it’s a partly sunny day, high near 70. I could suffer through that.

Fact is, all this week I’ve been imagining where I’d be at any given moment…and doing whatever. So far I’ve been to Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, Chipewa Harbor and Lake Ritchie in my head. Imagining the trails, meals, fishing, climbing, setting up and chillin’ out. It’s been great. Really.

But for the real thing.

I’m also being visually flogged by a number of new Isle Royale photos posted at the IR forums. The photo with this post is one seen at the top of this entry. Exceptional shots, done by a pro. Saaaaweeeet.

Too suite.

All I can do right now is try to rehab my balky ankle and see to whatever minor details I can in this lull time. Soon my mental trip to Isle Royale will be over, but I’ll have the satisfaction of knowing the real thing is yet to come.

No comments: