Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Itinerary



Many thanx to the folks at Isle Royale Forums (http://www.isleroyaleforums.com). IMO, it’s the best IR forum on the web. I asked lots of questions and got lots of answers.

From the various discussions there, and after reading basically everything I could get my hands on, my son and I arrived at the following trip itinerary:

We would arrive in Copper Harbor that Saturday, overnighting at Fort Wilkins State Park. Then the next morning….

Day 1: Ferry from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor.
To Daisy Farm: 7.1 miles
Day 2: To Moskey Basin: 3.9 miles
Day 3: To Chippewa Harbor: 6.2 miles
Day 4: To Lake Ritchie: 4.3 miles
Day 5: To McCargoe Cove: 6.3 miles
Day 6: To Daisy Farm: 8.2 miles
Day 7: To Rock Harbor: 8.0 miles (via Tobin Harbor Trail)
Ferry back to Copper Harbor

That’s about 44 miles total, with packs. That’s a little over 6 miles per day, average. Plus whatever we walk in our various explorations of the Island.

After arriving back at Copper Harbor on Saturday evening, we’ll drive to McLain State Park (on the Superior shore near Hancock) for the night. Next day, it’s back to Grand Rapids.

It’ll be a fun trip even on the travel days. We’ll be able to poke around the campus of MTU and Houghton a bit. I’ve made plans to take a tour of WMTU, the campus radio station I worked at during my time at Tech. My jockin’ there later led to a 10 year radio career, and ultimately to my current profession as an advertising writer/producer/voice talent. That’s where it all started for me. Should be a gas!

That, and the stellar drive from Houghton to Copper Harbor. Gonna be epic, I tells ya!

This is, of course, all predicated on my successful ankle rehab.

No pressure there. ;-)

No comments: