Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 7. Daisy Farm To Rock Harbor

P1020170

The next morning, we both woke up nice and warm. We wanted to be on our way by 8:00 am to make sure we’d have no trouble getting to Rock Harbor by noon. So up and out we went, snacking on pop tarts and such on the way.

At Suzy’s Cave, we veered north to catch the Tobin Harbor Trail to its end at Rock Harbor. What a pretty trail! Though more up & down than the RH trail, the footing was blissfully soft and easy on the feet. Wish we’d taken that path on Day 1, when I was still getting my trail legs.

We arrived at Rock Harbor in plenty of time, rolling in about 11:20 am. We were met by just about everyone we’d seen on the trail in the past week and spent an enjoyable couple of hours around burgers and beers, trading stories and prepping for the passage back to Copper Harbor. It was almost like a class reunion.

This was to be a 100% full ride on the Queen IV. Clear, calm, and easy.

P1010714

As the boat backed out of the harbor, I was deeply satisfied with how the trip had gone. Yes, I was sore. But if you’re not sore after a trip like this, you didn’t do it. And my pack was still heavy since I’d done the Dad-thing and lightened Pat’s load to protect his knee.

Pat and I are likely going to apply as a tag team for the Artist-In-Residence program next summer at Isle Royale. He for his artwork, me for my songwriting. If we don’t get it, I don’t know when the stars will line up for another shot at the Island. I doubt very much that I’ve done my last trip to IR, but in the next few years it will be difficult to make the return journey.

What an adventure. One year in the planning and 30 years in the dreaming.

No comments: